Let’s see – last post was about my new patient appointment.
After my appointment, I researched my butt off and decided to focus on losing weight and then move into fertility treatments. I started the keto diet (low carb, moderate protein, high fat), and also cut out all dairy. Thus far, I have lost about 18 pounds and I am feeling great! I am eating things I never in a million years thought I would eat – zucchini, cauliflower, beets, etc. I have already completed and lost 21.7% of my goal! (I’m trying to lose approximately 80 pounds in total) I’m hoping to get there before Christmas. I have read some wonderful stories of people with PCOS who have lost weight, and conceived naturally. Of course, I am not banking on that, but it would be nice! They say that most women only need to lose 10% of their body weight in order for their bodies to basically do a “hard reset” and start ovulating again. I am only 2.5 pounds away from 10%, so I guess we will see!
About two weeks in, I decided it was time to get the ball rolling to verify that PCOS was truly the problem. So I went in to have my blood tests done. I had two sets of blood tests to do:
- LabCorp – came back mostly normal, except:
- Testosterone – high (expected with PCOS)
- Iron – low (they want to do additional testing)
- Fertility Center – came back all normal, except:
- Vitamin D – low (they put me on a OTC supplement)
The same day I had my bloodwork done at the fertility center, they did a quick ultrasound.
My nurse called me that afternoon to go over my results. They said that my lining was quite thick, so they were not able to get a good picture, so she wants me to start Provera in order to induce a good, heavy period to clear everything out. Which was super frustrating, because I JUST came off of an on-again-off-again six week period from hell. I attribute that nonsense to losing weight, which made my hormones go a bit whacky. I told her as such, but she insisted that she understood, but that it would be worth it because in order to get proper results from the HSG (hysterosalpingogram) they needed everything to be cleared out. So she sent the prescription over; it is a ten-day course. The medication was $0 with my insurance, so that was awesome! I am to take these once daily and call her as soon as I get a good, heavy period, and we will schedule the HSG at that time. As we speak, I am on day five currently, and have been having light bleeding for the past 2-3 days, along with some pretty severe cramping. I will call her tomorrow to give her a heads up.
In addition, she suggested that I take a powder supplement 1-2 times daily called Ovasitol. This is straight from their website: “Ovasitol is a high quality, medical-grade supplement that combines both myo and d-chiro-inositol that mimic’s the body’s own ratio. A combination of myo and d-chiro inositol has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, restore hormone balance, improve ovulation and egg quality in women with PCOS.” So that’s cool, let’s do it. Except that it’s $80 for a three-month supply, and it is not available by prescription, so that came right out of the good ol’ bank account, and did not go towards my deductible. Oh well. If it helps, it’s worth it, right?
So as of right now, I am on the following medications daily:
- Vitamin D3
- Ovesitol (Powder)
Another thing we have to decide. The genetic testing looks like it is going to be $300…..for each of us. Yikes. Okay so some backstory, years ago I had signed up to be an egg donor. When they did the genetic testing (10 or 12 specific genes), I came back as a carrier for spinal muscular dystrophy or atrophy – can’t remember which. This disqualified me as an egg donor, but regardless. Now, the genetic testing looks at, I believe they said, over 120 different genes? So, since I did already get flagged for one abnormality, I would like to get it done again, and I would like my husband to get it done as well. But $600 is a lot of money for some bloodwork. So we discussed it, and I am going to call Nurse Tina and ask – if the testing comes back abnormal, for either of us, what does that mean? Like, if we are both carriers for something, does the testing or the course of treatment change at all? Or does the treatment continue as normal, and now we are just aware of the possibility of the genetic issues? If the course of treatment remains the same no matter what, I cannot fathom tacking on the additional cost and anxiety…? I guess we will see about that.
As for now, my next steps are as follows:
- Blood test at LabCorp – additional testing for the low iron
- Blood test at Fertility Center – genetic testing (if we chose to do it)
- Semen Analysis – STILL waiting on the call to see if hubby’s insurance covers any of this. the financial person we met with stated to give it a week and expect a call. I got off course, and called about three weeks later, and nothing had been done or submitted. this pissed me off. the woman I spoke with last week stated she would process it now, and to call a week later. I am going to call tomorrow. if it is still undone, heads are going to roll. p.s. why do I have to call YOU? shouldn’t you be calling me with this info?
- Hysterosalpingogram – as soon as my body decides to release all this extra nonsense it seems intent on holding onto
I believe that is it for now! My main focus at the moment is the healthy living and the weight loss, since I really need to do that for me anyway, outside of the whole TTC stuff. Truthfully, I am a little scared of conceiving before I have lost “enough” weight, because I am afraid that I will gain it all back and then some and be worse off than I was when I started this. I know, there are worse things to worry about, but still.